NCIS – CBS TV Show
Show Important Facts
- Origins – Spun off from JAG in 2003 and follows the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Still airing on CBS.
- Sets – The main bullpen office and morgue sets are located on the CBS Radford lot in Studio City, CA.
- Spinoffs – Has led to several successful spinoffs including NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, and NCIS: Hawaii.
- Format – Known for its “case of the week” episodic format mixed with character dynamics/banter. Average 42 minutes per episode.
- Improvised – Michael Weatherly often improvised quips and jokes for his character Tony DiNozzo.
- Ratings – Hit ratings highs in Seasons 10-11 with over 20 million viewers. Among the most watched shows on TV throughout its run, averaging around 13 million viewers at its peak.
Plot: Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs is the leader of a team of special agents belonging to the NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) Major Case Response Team. Gibbs, a former Marine, is a tough investigator and a highly skilled interrogator who relies on his gut instinct as much as evidence. Gibbs' second in command is Senior Field Agent Tony DiNozzo, a womanizing, movie-quoting former Baltimore Homicide Detective, who despite being the class clown always gets the job done. The team also consists of probationary field agent Eleanor Bishop, a former NSA agent, as well as Junior Field Agent Timothy McGee, a computer-savvy agent often mocked by DiNozzo. Assisting them are Abby Sciuto, the energetic-but-Goth lab tech who is like a daughter to Gibbs, and Dr. Donald Mallard, nicknamed Ducky, the eccentric medical examiner full of unusual stories. This team of elite agents, based in Washington, D.C., solve criminal cases involving Marine and Navy personnel and their families, sometimes traveling the United States - or the world - to do it.
Runtime: 17S min
Genre: Action, Crime, Drama
Awards: Nominated for 3 Primetime Emmys. 27 wins & 44 nominations total
Writer: Donald P. Bellisario, Don McGill
Actors: David McCallum, Sean Murray, Mark Harmon
Country: United States
Data provided by OMDB API