Survivor – CBS TV Show
Show Important Facts
- Premise: Contestants are marooned in a remote location and divided into teams called “tribes”. They compete in challenges and vote each other out one by one until a sole survivor remains and wins the $1 million prize.
- Hosted By: Jeff Probst has hosted since season 1 in 2000.
- Original Network: CBS (still airs on CBS today)
- First Season Location: Borneo
- Format: Contestants battle the elements and each other in physically and mentally demanding challenges. Alliances and strategy come into play for the voting process at tribal council.
- Number of Seasons: Currently airing Season 43 in 2022. Has aired over 20 years.
- Locations: Tropical destinations like Fiji, Samoa, Cambodia, as well as some inland locations.
- Immunity Idols: Hidden idols that give players immunity from voting if played correctly are a key strategic element.
- Notable Moments: “Snakes and rats” speech, toe injury suffers infection, controversial tie vote, and many big blindsides.
- Winner’s Prize: $1 million awarded to the Sole Survivor. Second place gets $100,000.
- Awards: Won 8 Emmy Awards including Outstanding Reality Competition Program in 2001 & 2003.
Plot: Over the spring of 2000, sixteen average Americans (divided into two tribes which eventually merge into one) were sequestered on the deserted island of Pulau Tiga for 39 days. For their stay, they must learn to live as a tribe, although eventually, it is everyone for themselves. They compete in challenges for "luxuries" (a barbecue, a phone call home, etc.) and immunity. Every three days, the losers of the latter challenges must face tribal council, where they will account for their actions by voting one person off of the island. At the end of day 39, there will be only one survivor left who will leave the island with one million dollars. Based on the Swedish game show, "Operation Robinson."
Runtime: 60 min
Genre: Adventure, Game-Show, Reality-TV
Awards: Won 7 Primetime Emmys. 45 wins & 138 nominations total
Writer: Charlie Parsons
Actors: Jeff Probst, Lillian Morris, Jon Dalton
Country: United States
Data provided by OMDB API